Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, has a $6.1 billion economy. Sheboygan-based companies have locations in 40 countries and employ over 100,000 people throughout the world. Sheboygan redefines how a smaller community can flourish in the global marketplace.
*map marking international locations of Sheboygan County companies
Sheboygan County has a culture of large, stable, and multi-generation family-owned companies (many in advanced manufacturing). This culture has lead to several community impacts:
- An emphasis on traditional family-values that promoted "work-life balance" before it became a buzz word
- Sustained low-unemployment as compared to the Nation
- Long-term investments in new product development resulting in the County being a hotbed of patent filings in the same league (per capita) as Boulder, Co, Austin, TX, and Silicon Valley.
- Companies that still see themselves as "local" even though many are global players and have locations in over 40 nations world-wide
- Desire to work together on problems that cannot be solved by one company, such as waste reduction efforts or technology education
- Strong philanthropic culture supporting many community-based non-profits
The Promise of Sheboygan County